Before I.V. Anesthesia
- Adults may not have anything to eat or drink (including water) for eight (8) hours prior to the surgical appointment. Typically we recommend adults do not drink or eat anything after midnight the night before surgery.
- Children under the age of 14 may not have any solids after midnight the night of surgery, but may have clear liquids up to 3 hours prior to surgery.
- All patients under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- No smoking at least 24 hours before surgery. Ideally, cut down or stop smoking 24 hours prior to the day of surgery and 24 hours after the surgery.
- A responsible adult must accompany the patient to the office, remain in the office during the procedure, and drive the patient home. You should plan to have an adult companion stay with you for the first 12 to 24 hours after surgery.
- The patient should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following the anesthesia experience.
- You will be fitted with a surgical gown during the surgical procedure, so please wear a loose fitting shirt or blouse that can be easily removed and low-heeled shoes.
- Contact lenses, jewelry, and dentures must be removed at the time of surgery.
- Do not wear lipstick, excessive makeup, or nail polish on the day of surgery.
- Please give our office a 24 hour cancellation notice. If you feel ill with a cold or respiratory problem, please contact our office as soon as possible so we may advise you about possible cancellation.
- Take all daily medication at the usual time with a sip of water unless instructed otherwise by Dr. Freimuth and/or staff.
- If you have any questions about these instructions or other concerns, please contact our office at (928) 783-2106.