Your initial appointment will consist of a consultation explaining your diagnosis and treatment options. Occasionally, surgery can be performed the same day as the consultation. However, a complex medical history or treatment plan may require an evaluation and a second appointment to provide treatment on another day.
Your initial consultation appointment with Dr. Freimuth will consist of the following:
Examination and Consultation with Dr. Freimuth
Review of your health history and current medications and allergies
Explanation of your diagnosis
Explanation of your surgical and anesthesia treatment options
Discussion of your surgical and anesthesia treatment plan
- Review informed consent materials and give written consent for the procedure
- Review of your insurance coverage, financial obligations and financing options
- Preoperative Instructions
- Scheduling your surgical procedure
It is rare that a surgical procedure can be performed on the same day as the consultation for the following reasons:
- Preoperative consultation and examination is mandatory before I.V. Anesthesia
- Complex surgical treatment plans
- Complex medical histories
- Medication regimens that require adjustment (ie, coumadin patients)
- Anesthesia treatment plans that require sedation and pain control
- Most patients are restricted from eating or drinking after midnight the day before surgery
- Scheduling to care for our patients during their appointed times
- However, we do keep special emergency surgical time during our morning surgical schedule in order to provide emergent surgical services to our patients in a timely manor.
Please assist us by providing the following information at the time of your consultation:
- Your surgical referral slip and any x-rays if applicable.
- A list of medications you are presently taking.
- If you have medical or dental insurance, bring the necessary completed forms. This will save time and allow us to help you process any claims.
IMPORTANT: All patients under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian at the consultation visit. Legal guardian/Power of Attorney must present court appointed paperwork to accompany any patient.
A preoperative consultation and physical examination is mandatory for patients undergoing IV anesthesia for surgery. Please have nothing to eat or drink after midnight, the night prior to your surgery. You will also need an adult to drive you home.
Please alert the office if you have a medical condition that may be of concern prior to surgery (i.e., diabetes, high blood pressure, artificial heart valves and joints, rheumatic fever, etc.) or if you are currently taking any medications (i.e., heart medications, aspirin, anticoagulant therapy, etc.).
If your dentist or physician has taken x-rays you may request that they forward them to our office. If there is not enough time, please pick them up and bring them to our office. If additional films are necessary they can be taken at our facility.